So, you were laid off. Let Go. Released. Downsized. Cut loose. Anyway you say it, it means the same thing. You are out of a job. And, you join the millions across America who are unemployed as well.

Maybe you were given some notice, a nice farewell party and a generous severance package. Maybe, you were surprised on a Friday with a pink slip and an empty box (or a paper bag) to pack up your things. Or, perhaps you just discovered that your key no longer worked in your office door lock.

Now what??!!

Well, of course, you look for another job. You get your resume together, you dust off your interview suit, you join all the Social Networking sites and you start surfing Monster, Careerbuilder and wheresmynextjob.com with the intention of finding a new job FAST!

But, what happens when you don’t get hired the week after you just got fired???

What do you do with all this new-found time?

Well, while you're searching for your next job, here's some ideas, reminders, random thoughts etc. from someone who's discovering there is life after her layoff.

Sunday, July 26, 2009

A Tourist in My Own City - part 1

Last week, temperatures topped 100 degrees in LA! I hate hot. And, I don't like to go outside when it's this hot. However, when Friday arrived, I had cabin fever and was going stir crazy - I had to get out of here! So, where could I go? I couldn't spend a lot of money because I didn't have it (not working, remember?). But, I wanted to stretch my legs and get some exercise...preferably someplace cool. So, I decided to head to the beach and walk around Venice and Santa Monica with my friend Laura.

What a difference 40 minutes and a few zip codes made! It was about 20 degrees cooler by the beach...really, it was!


Fortunately for us, the beach wasn't as "crazy" crowded on a Friday as it usually is on the weekend. There were small flocks of tourists walking where we were walking, snapping photos, pointing and chatting in their native languages...just like we were doing, I guess. There were times where we were actually semi-consciously following the flock. I was then reminded that there are a lot of really great places to see right in my own backyard. So this is what all those "staycation" vacationers are talking about! Who knew? (she said smiling...)

These are some of my "snaps":


2 comments:

  1. Really cool, what a great idea... I am going to check out my own city, it is not as exciting as Santa Monica but it will be OK. can't wait for Part 2

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did the right thing , going to the beach, and your "snaps" are lovely.

    ReplyDelete